Friday 19 October 2007

Another Car Issue




So another day, another huge bill to repair my relatively new but pretty crap French car!



Apparently 39 months life from the coils in my car is quite alright.... I suppose that they got the 36 month warranty just right!



Deep breath taken..... When I started my car up on Wednesday morning, it had a missfire. I put it down to the damp weather and assumed that it would stop after a short while. It did not and after 26 miles of spluttering, I looked for any obvious problems in the car park at work. There were no obvious signs- even that I was looking at an engine.... just a collection of black boxes connected by wires and pipes. I could not even get a positive ID on the sparking plugs! (and me, a Chartered Engineer.)



I took the beast in, and the next day I went back to collect it, along with 2 new coils (out of 4) and a bill for more than 200 quid!



I wrote a curt letter to Renault the next day and am waiting to see what happens.


On another front, I can report that my new coffee maker is fantastic- highly recommended.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the coils are mounted right next to the plugs.
THe explanation I read was that it is easier to "distribute" the 12 volt signal than the 50KV or so. I took "easier" to mean cheaper but I guess you disagree.
The only people who can make really reliable cars, in my opinion, are the Japanese. My old Civic - 180,000 miles 10 years and no problems except a rubber cv joint boot which was covered by the warranty. Furthermore no replacement exhaust system, one battery and one set of brake pads.
I was going to buy you a new coffee machine for Christmas! - now I am flummoxed - any suggestions?
WRM

Anonymous said...

Va Va Vro.....o....o.....o....m
It's all the shaking that ass that's worn out your coils; could be built in sabotage to be activated after last week's rugby.Let's face it the french are temperamental, and that includes the cars.I just pray the Little Flying Pig starts. ajen

William said...

Jen's car is very old
We are due for a 2nd service in a month, i expect it will cost around £300 for an oil change and new break pads... :-(

Anonymous said...

Va VA Va Vro...o...o....o.....m
Sinca the italians make such great coffee machines, perhaps they make decent cars as well.
You could have had a very reliable 10 year old Volvo at a knock down price if you'd just said the word.
Since you have the coffee machine, perhaps WRM will buy you a reliable car for Christmas!
When do the danes start the Christmas lists?
m