Friday 18 April 2008

Time for an update?

So I have managed to post nothing at all for more than a month.


News that may be of interest is as follows:

Tim's slightly odd leg motion when climbing the stairs (amongst other activities) is due to extreme double jointedness of the ankles, knees and hips. The same is true of his fingers and wrists. There is no real problem with this but he has to learn to control his joints in more directions than the rest of us- which takes time.

I had a golf lesson- which Elaine got for me for my birthday. Stan had one at the same time for the same reason. I am pleased to report that I enjoyed it- and I was not too embarrassingly poor at it for a first attempt.


We bought a new iron- a steam generator no less. The old iron kept on tripping the electrics in the house. The new one is very powerful and ironing is now my favorite hobby.
I have found a place that roasts coffee to order- and am in the process of trying out all of the different coffees to find my favorite.
Elaine is going to a Spa tomorrow with her friends- meaning that I have a day alone with the children. We have planned all sorts of exciting things to do- whatever the weather.

Elaine has met this guy- Khaled Hosseini, the author of 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns.' She recommends them both highly. The first one is about a child who smuggles kites across international boundaries I think- the second is about a planet with lots of Suns- even more than Tatooine. She regards him as the best author in the world ever.


The other reason for not blogging is that I was given season 2 of Prison Break for my birthday by Roy and Sian- this is taking up lots of our time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did Stan get golf lessons foir your birthday? Seems a bit odd!.

William said...

GOLF!!!
so no more

Anonymous said...

You will have to get the jaguar estate car now, I recall that it was considered to be a golfer's car when G was considering having one.
"The Kite Runner" is not about a kite smuggler but a race - it's a very good book. I imagine that E's opinion is slightly coloured by his stunning good looks.
I wonder if he is double jointed.
Have you put Tim's name down for the circus schoolyet?
m

Anonymous said...

Have tried to read The Kite Runner,(Elaine gave me a copy, telling me it would change my life,as it had changed hers)but fell asleep, so no change there then. Went to see the film and suffered the same fate. To misquote Oscar Wilde the gist seemed to be "To be b***ered once is misfortune, to be b***ered again (by the same bloke years later)is not sheer carelessness, just shows that in ghastly third world countries like Afghanistan the b***ers always win, so go fly your own kite.

Anonymous said...

I think he is an excellent writer - anyone who can make me see things I regard as good - I agree that all the violence is a bit much.
The second book is much more violent - the b-----in the first one could be missed by someone naieve but the rapes and murders in the Thousand Suns I found upsetting.
The guy was a pediatric surgeon in the San Francisco Bay area I believe but now is just a writer.
Elaine gave me the Kite Runner book too and I gave her the Thousand Suns.
WRM